Well, here is yet another reason to bake....I just saw an episode of Masterchef Australia - Season 3 and guess whom I saw....Nigella Lawson sitting there tasting that Chocolate Devils Food Cake...Ah! How I wish I was there, treating her to one of my lovely cakes and bowl her over with my very special Chocolate Excess Cake covered with Ganache Icing. Well, I am not sure if she would approve of my downsizing the amount of butter, but I think this cake is just as tender, fudgy and infinitely chocolatey with a beautiful deep brown crust which is going to go under a blanket of cream and dark chocolate icing - the Ganache.
|Shining Crowning Glory !!|
1 cup atta/whole wheat flour ( 8 fl oz) ( Can substitute same amount of maida/cake flour)
1/4 cup soft butter ( 2 fl oz) ( Salted Butter is fine)
3/4 cup powdered sugar (6 fl oz)
1/2 cup finely chopped dark chocolate ( 4 fl oz)
1/2 tsp Vanilla
1 tsp baking powder
2 eggs, at room temperature
1 tsp Vegetable oil
3/4 cup boiling water (6 fl oz)
1/2 cup dark Chocochips (4 fl oz)
- Just like any other cake, start by sieving the dry ingredients (atta, baking powder).
- Add vanilla, the oil and the finely chopped dark chocolate to the boiling water and let it melt.
- Preheat the oven to 200 degree Celsius.
- Cream and butter and the sugar till light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs one at a time and beat till the batter is smooth.
- Add the atta and baking powder. Beat again
- Add all the chocolate water and beat till well incorporated.
- Stir in the Chocochips.
- The batter will be slightly runny, but not too runny.
- Bake for 25 minutes at 180 degree Celsius or till a toothpick inserted at the center comes out clean.
- Unmould the cake and let it cool on a wire rack.
- Once the cake cools down completely, poke the with a toothpick and make holes all over the cake and pour the Ganache over the cake till it covers the crust all the sides. The holes will let the Ganache trickle down into the cake.
- For this Ganache I have used 6 fl oz ( 3/4 cup) of Amul Fresh Cream and 6 fl oz (3/4 cup) of Dark Cooking Chocolate.
Happy Baking !!